It is a truly awe-inspiring ride as we bike through the cold high altitude desert. A land of extremes with brown mountains and blue waters, burning sun and freezing winds, glaciers and sand dunes, it is hard to distinguish between reality and fantasy in this mystical land.
Also known as 'Little Tibet', Ladakh has beautiful monasteries, full of priceless art and antiques, scattered across its arid landscape. The unforgiving yet beautiful landscape, the isolated yet elaborate monasteries, and the weathered yet spiritual people are bound to make this your most memorable mountain bicycle ride ever.
- Tour Cost on Twin-share: US$ 1450 PER PERSON, SINGLE ROOM SUPPLEMENT: US$ 275
- Tour Type: GUIDED WITH SUPPORT VEHICLE
- Cycling: 8 DAYS (APPROX 400 KM)
- Tour Start / End: LEH, LADAKH
- DATES: DAILY DEPARTURES FROM MID-MAY UNTIL SEPTEMBER
- Group Size: 2 TO 8 PEOPLE
- Given Below THE ITINERARY, INCLUSIONS / EXCLUSIONS , HOTEL DETAILS , TRIP NOTES
LEH - STOK - SHEY - THIKSEY - HEMIS - SPITUK - ALCHI - LAMAYURU - LEH - KHARDUNG-LA - NUBRA VALLEY - LEHRequest Detailed Package
Day 1: Arrive Leh
Upon arrival in Leh you will be met at the airport by our representative and taken to your hotel. The rest of the day will be at leisure to get acclimatized to the high altitude. In the evening you may walk around the local bazaars.
Day 2: Leh
In the mornig we will visit Leh Palace and Shanti Stupa which offers panoramic views of Leh and surrounding areas. In the afternoon we will try out bicycles and ride short distance to Stok Palace. Cycling 10-15 KM.
Day 3: Leh and Surrounding Areas
You should be well acclimatized by today, so we venture out for a longer ride to some of the monasteries around Leh. The monasteries you will visit today are Shey, Thiksey and Hemis. Cycling 40-50 KM.
Day 4: Leh - AlchiToday we will cycle along the Indus to Spituk Monastery known for its vast collection of Buddhist artifacts. We will continue to Alchi Monastery, one of the oldest in Ladakh and the only one in the region located on flat ground instead of a hill-top. It is famous for its magnificent and well-preserved 11th and 12th century paintings. Cycling 50-60 KM.
Day 5: Alchi - Lamayuru - Alchi
We cycle to Lamayuru for a day trip. Spectacularly set on a steep mountain and founded in the 10th century, Lamayuru Monastery is the oldest spiritual centre of Ladakh. Cycling 60 KM.
Day 6: Alchi - LehToday we cycle back to Leh. Evening will be free to pursue your individual interests. Relax at the hotel or stroll around the local markets, shop for souvenirs.Cycling 60-70 KM.
Day 7: Leh - Khardung-La - Nubra Valley
Cycle to Khardung La. Lying at an altitude of 5,359 m, Khardung La is claimed to be the highest motorable road in the world. From Khardung-La, we will do a road transfer to the Nubra Valley. This evening visit the sand dunes at Hundar and enjoy a ride on the Bactrian camel. Cycling 50 KM.
Day 8: Nubra ValleyThis morning we will visit the sand dunes at Hundar and enjoy a ride on the Bactrian camel. We will continue to Diskit and Samstangling Monasteries. Diskit Monastery is the oldest and largest Buddhist monastery in the Nubra Valley of Ladakh. Cycling 40-50 KM.
Day 9: Nubra Valley - Leh
This morning we will explore Nubra Valley some more on our bicycles. Afterwards, we will drive back to Leh. Evening free to explore Leh market and buy souvenirs. Cycling 30-40 km
Day 10: Depart Leh
This morning you will be taken to the airport for your flight.
Please write to us for free pre or post travel planning or travel arrangements here: firstname.lastname@example.org . We will be pleased to assist you.
- Accommodation on twin-share basis in the mentioned or similar hotels
- 10 Breakfasts, 9 Lunches, 9 Dinners
- Arrival and departure transfers with our representative
- Entrance fee to the cultural sights mentioned in the itinerary
- Camel ride in Nubra Valley
- An accompanying support vehicle
- An accompanying cycling guide on cycling days
- Bicycle and Helmet
- Bottled water during cycling
- All currently applicable taxes
- Items of personal nature like tips, laundry, telephone calls, drinks, etc
- Any other meals than those mentioned above
- Domestic or International airfare. You may book your Delhi-Leh-Delhi flight yourself or request us for the same
- Any insurance coverage
- Airport or VISA fee
- Camera charges at monuments
- Any extra expenses incurred for reasons beyond our control such as emergency evacuation, natural calamity, etc
- Any other item not specifically mentioned above as INCLUDED
If any of these hotels are unavailable on your dates of travel, we will substitute them with similar quality accommodation.
Leh: Himalayan Retreat
Himalayan Retreat is located close to the main Bazaar. Surrounded by snow capped mountains, the hotel has magnificent views of Shanti Stupa and Leh Palace.
Alchi: Alchi Resort
This is a traditional hut style resort providing picturesque scenery for nature lovers. Naturally sculpted rocks abound it and River Indus flowing just at the base of these majestic mountains adds to the serenity surrounding the resort.
Nubra Valley: Camp Silver Sands
This camp is situated in the beautiful village of Hunder, just 7 km from Diskit Monastery. Offers well equipped and tastefully done up tents. Has own organic vegetable garden and guests can enjoy the taste of fresh locally grown vegetables.
- WEATHER: Bike trips to Ladakh are possible only between May to September when snow has melted and temperature is nice and comfortable (max 25°C. min 7°C). However, mornings and evenings still could be cold as it is an extremely high altitude region. Please be prepared for chilly evenings and a possibility of rain or snow.
- TERRAIN: The high altitude region of Ladakh is all about mountains and valleys and there are zigzag trails including some hairpin turns. To cycle on these zig-zag roads, you need to be a technically sound biker. You must preferably have prior experience of riding on rugged terrain and rough paved roads. Most sections of the road are asphalt surface. However, road conditions are unpredictable in this Himalayan region and could be under repair and not having an asphalt surface. Re-routing or itinerary changes can be made by the guide depending on the circumstances on ground.
- ACCLIMATIZATION: Travellers to Ladakh may suffer breathlessness, headaches, nausea and lack of appetite before becoming acclimatized. It is important to take things slowly at first and drink plenty of liquids. These symptoms generally disappear after a couple of days. Initial days of cycling is not excessive to allow time for adequate altitude acclimatization and we gradually cycle longer distances.
For booking or other queries, please write to us at: email@example.com