Most of India still lives in small villages in the countryside and nowhere is the countryside more picturesque than in South India. This cycling trip of South India includes popular as well as off-the-beaten track destinations in the states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. During this trip you will ride through lovely countryside, discover quaint little villages and see some stunning monuments.
We arrive in Chennai and then take a train to the temple town of Madurai. From here we cycle through the lush green plantations and countryside to Dindigul, Palani, Pollachi, Coimbatore, Coonoor and Oooty (including the heritage toy train ride in Nilgiri Hills). From Ooty we will drive to Bangalore airport, en route visiting the lovely town of Mysore.
- Tour Cost on Twin-share: US$ 2400,
SINGLE ROOM SUPPLEMENT: US$ 555
- Tour Type: GUIDED WITH SUPPORT VEHICLE
- Bike Hire: INCLUDED
- Cycling: 9 DAYS (Approx 550 KM)
- Tour Start / End: CHENNAI / BANGALORE
- Departure Dates: Daily in JAN, FEB, MAR, APR, SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC (Supplement applicable on tours between Dec 20 and Jan 10)
- Group Size: 2 TO 8 PEOPLE
- Given Below: THE ITINERARY , INCLUSIONS / EXCLUSIONS , HOTEL DETAILS , TRIP NOTES
CHENNAI - MADURAI - DINDIGUL - PALANI - POLLACHI - COIMBATORE - COONOOR - OOTY - MYSORE - BANGALORERequest Detailed Package
Day 1: Arrive Chennai
Arrive in Chennai and transfer to hotel. Situated on the eastern coast of India, Chennai used to be one of the bastions of the British Empire. Today, it is a microcosm of ancient traditions and cultures co-existing with modern day industry and commerce.
Day 2: Chennai - Madurai
This morning we will take a train to Madurai and transfer to hotel. This is perhaps the most vibrant town of southern India and throbs with vim and vitality. All activities in the city centred around Sri Meenakshi Temple, which is one of the most stunning living temples in the country.
Day 3: Madurai
Today we will explore Madurai on bicycles. We will visit Tirumalai Palace, banana and vegetable markets, bamboo bazaar, dhobi ghat (washermen’s enclave), as well as some textile and brass industries to watch locals make metal pots on furnace and spinning yarns. The day will end with a visit to the Sri Meenakshi Temple. Cycling 15-20 KM
Day 4: Madurai - DindigulThis morning we will cycle to Dindigul, a small town surrounded by hills. The city is known for its fort, temples and falls. It also has a history which dates back to 7th century. Cycling 60-70 KM
Day 5: Dindigul
Today we will visit the Dindigul Fort, the cultural heritage of this place. It is believed to be first built by the Nayakas of Madurai, later rebuilt by Haider Ali, and finally captured by the British in 1790. After visiting the fort, we will explore the town and see artisans, potters, schools and temples. Cycling 50-60 KM
Day 6: Dindigul - PalaniThis morning we will cycle to Palani. The view within the town is dominated by the two hills, Sivagiri and Sakthigiri, on the former of which lies the Palani Murugan Temple. Visit this temple which attracts more than 7 million pilgrims each year. Cycling 60-70 KM
Day 7: Palani - Pollachi
This morning we will cycle to Pollachi. This is a quaint town in Tamil Nadu, at the border of God’s own country, Kerala. Pollachi lies on the cusp of the Annamalai hills and the plains of Coimbatore. Cycling 60-70 KM
Day 8: PollachiWe will cycle to Masani Amman Temple, a highly revered shrine. We will continue to Parambikulam Tiger Reserve. Considering its biological richness, abundance of wildlife and landscape beauty makes Parambikulam one of the most attractive places in the entire stretch of Western Ghats. Cycling 80-90 KM
Day 9: Pollachi - Coimbatore
This morning we will cycle to Coimbatore. Located on the banks of Noyyal River and surrounded by the Western Ghats, it is the second largest city in Tamil Nadu after Chennai. Cycling 40-50 KM
Day 10: Coimbatore - Coonoor - OotyWe will cycle to Conoor, a beautiful hill station known for its production of Nilgiri tea. At Conoor train station, we will board the Nilgiri Mountain Railway toy train to Ooty. Cycling 60-70 KM, Train Journey approx 1 hour: 20 minutes
Day 11: Ooty
Today we explore Ooty. This beautiful hill station was established by the British in the early part of the 19th century and even today an indefinable touch of the Raj still lingers. We will visit the Botanical Gardens, the nearby hills and plantations. Cycling 50-60 KM
Day 12: Ooty - Mysore - BangaloreCycling ends today and we will drive to Mysore. Visit the cultural sites in Mysore and then continue to Bangalore airport.
- Accommodation on twin-share basis in the mentioned or similar hotels
- 11 Breakfast
- Arrival and departure transfers with our representative
- An accompanying support vehicle
- An accompanying cycling guide on cycling days
- Bicycle Rental and Spares
- Train fare from Chennai to Madurai
- Toy train fare from Coonoor to Ooty
- Bottled water during cycling
- All currently applicable taxes
- Items of personal nature like tips, laundry, telephone calls, drinks, etc
- Any other meals than those mentioned above
- Entrance fee to monuments
- International airfare
- Any insurance coverage
- Airport or VISA fee
- Camera charges at monuments
- Any extra expenses incurred for reasons beyond our control such as emergency evacuation, natural calamity, etc
- Any other item not specifically mentioned above as INCLUDED
- A SUPPLEMENT, AS CHARGED BY HOTELS, WILL BE APPLICABLE ON TOURS BETWEEN DEC 20 TO JAN 10
- ABOVE PRICES ARE VALID TILL APRIL 30, 2019
If any of these are unavailable on your dates of travel, we will substitute them with similar quality accommodation. For private trips, many more accommodation options are available.
Footprint is an intimate 6-room bed & breakfast located in a quiet, up-market residential neighborhood close to the Boat Club Area in South Chennai.
Madurai: Royal Court
Situated in the heart of this temple town, this modern hotel offers all amenities.
With stunning lake and moutain views, Lakeside Guesthouse borders the Palani Hills and Tamil Nadu Plains. Ideally located on the water edge of Kamaraj Lake and proximity to ancient temple towns and artisinal villages make it the perfect getaway from the city.
Palani: Hotel Subam
A comfortable and homely hotel, Subam provides comfortably appointed rooms for visit to Palani devotees and leisure traveller.
Pollachi: Coco Lagoon
Set amid tropical gardens surrounding a lagoon, this laid-back resort offers perfect serenity. The hotel has a wellness spa and a yoga centre together with a gym and a lagoon-style outdoor pool.
Coimbatore: Poppys Hotel
With the right mix of luxury and comfort, Poppys Hotel- Coimbatore offers a peaceful and a relaxing stay amidst the bustling city life.
Ooty: Highland Hotel
Overlooking the beautiful Nilgiris Mountains, the hotel stands tall with all elegance and style. A contemporary structure with a traditional feel, it is located at one of the most picturesque location in Ooty.
- CYCLING: Daily cycling ranges between 50 to 80 kilometres. If any group member wishes to cycle less, they may hop on to the support vehicle for a part of the journey.
- TERRAIN: In South India 100% of the roads are asphalt, however, the surface conditions vary each year. The surface may not be 100% smooth in villages and interior country roads. The terrain on this tour will be quite diverse – cycling in culturally rich towns, in the periphery of wildlife reserves, mountains of Western Ghats, plantations and finally the Nigiri Hills of Ooty. You will come across numerous small settlements with little bazaars and white-washed houses.
- WEATHER: January to mid-April and mid-September to December is the best time to cycle in South India. The average day temperature range between 20-30 degree Celsius. The days are generally sunny and pleasant but can sometimes be hot. Please bring a sun hat, sun cream and sunglasses. A light windproof/fleece may be necessary in the evenings when visiting hill stations or wildlife reserves. The remaining months are hot and humid and unsuitable for cycling. For detailed travel kit recommendations, please refer to our FAQ section.
For booking or other queries, please write to us at: email@example.com